Master Phil Nguyen
Master Phil is a martial artist first, author/speaker/mind-body-spirit teacher second, and entrepreneur third.
He has been training, teaching, competing, and coaching in ITF Taekwon-Do for over 30 years.
He attributes much to his achievements, joys, and successes to martial arts training.
- 7th Degree Black Belt International Master Instructor in ITF Taekwon-Do.
- 1st Degree Black Belt in Kanzenbudo Jiu-Jitsu at 100% Martial Arts and Fitness
- Has also attended classes and seminars in Jet Li’s Taiji Zen, Bruce Lee’s Jeet Kune Do, Judo, Aikido, Shinkido, Weapons, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Krav Maga, and MMA (with UFC Champion Georges St-Pierre)
- Co-founded the award-winning Black Belt Excellence Martial Arts Academy, the first-established and longest-running martial arts school in the city of Kanata since 1988. www.blackbeltexcellence.com
- Recipient of the “Founder’s Award” presented by General Choi Hong Hi, Founder of ITF Taekwon-Do, for his dedication, promotion, and teaching of the martial arts in his community.
- Has attended multiple International Instructors’ Courses, including once when he performed 4 of 24 Patterns of Taekwon-Do in front of the Founder, General Choi Hong Hi, which was featured in Tae Kwon Do Times magazine
- Led a 250-student Taekwon-Do Demonstration in honour of his academy’s 25th Anniversary in his community
- Taught thousands of students, ranging from children with ADHD to adults with PhD’s.
- Produced multiple Black Belts, Champions, and Leaders in Society.
- Multiple medalist and coach at Canadian Martial Arts Games, Canadian Taekwon-Do Championships, and North American Taekwon-Do Championships
- Past Member, National Association of Professional Martial Artists
- Past Member, Martial Arts Industry Association
- Has been promoted through 1st-7th by: Grand Master Phap Lu, Grand Master Trân Triêu Quân, Grand Master Hector Marano, Grand Master Willem Bos, and Master Andre Blake
- Earned a Bachelors Degree in Engineering and Management from the University of Ottawa
- Editor-in-Chief, Engineering Student Society newspaper, University of Ottawa
- Chairperson, Ontario Engineering Competition – Competition d’ingénierie de l’Ontario
- President, Engineering Student Societies Council of Ontario
- Governor, Canadian Federation of Engineering Students
- Senior Student Ambassador, University of Ottawa
- Student Senator, Faculty of Engineering, University of Ottawa
- Author of #1 International Bestseller, Black Belt Excellence – 9 Secrets Reveal the Truth About Family Martial Arts Training (amazon.com Family Activities, Family Relationships, Hot New Releases) www.blackbeltexcellencebook.com
- Author of Black Belt Excellence – 9 Secrets to Becoming a Bully Buster
- Author of Black Belt Excellence – 9 Secrets on How Martial Arts Training Can Help Your Child to Better FOCUS
- Author of Black Belt Leadership – 9-Point Path to Wisdom, Inspiration, and Enlightenment www.blackbeltleadership.com
- CEO and President of Black Belt Excellence Inc., Speaking, Training, and Facilitation Services.
- Certified Master Trainer, Langevin Learning Services
- Certified Professional Facilitator, International Association of Facilitators
- Distinguished Toastmaster, Toastmaster International
- Recipient of “Leadership Excellence Award,” Toastmasters International
- President and “President’s Award,” Ottawa Toastmasters
- Recipient of “President’s Award,” Canadian Association of Professional Speakers – Ottawa Chapter
- Recognized as one of Ottawa’s “Top Forty Under 40,” Ottawa Business Journal, for his business achievements, professional expertise, and community involvement.
- Voted “The People’s Choice Family Business of the Year” in his city, Kanata Chamber of Commerce
- Co-created the award-wining Bully Busters program with his wife, which they have taught to 1,000’s of school-aged children assertiveness skills to respond to bullying confidently and peacefully
- Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) Emergency Room named after “Black Belt Excellence Martial Arts Academy” due to his students’ fundraising efforts
- Donated 10,000’s of dollars to CHEO, The Royal Ottawa Mental Health Foundation, and Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre (women’s shelters, anti-bullying programs).
- Voted “The People’s Choice Citizen of the Year” in his city, Kanata Chamber of Commerce
- Voted “Diamond Winner, Readers’ Choice #1 Martial Arts School in Kanata for Families
- Recipient of “The Mayor’s City Builder Award” for contributions to his community
- Recipient of the “Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal” for contributions to Canada
- Recipient of the “Sandra Ball Recognition Award” for helping make the community a better and safer place for youth
- Recipient of the “Civic Appreciation Award” and nominee for the “Brian Kilrea Award for Excellence in Coaching,” City of Ottawa
- Winner, “Good Corporate Citizen Award,” Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre, for Bully Busters program
- Voted Top 3 Finalist, “The Peoples’ Choice in Kanata for Business Person of the Year,” Kanata Chamber of Commerce
Master Phil is happily married to Mrs. Amelia Nguyen, 4th Degree Black Belt, and proud father of 2 ninjas, Justice and Jackson, who both love Taekwon-Do.